Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St.Patrick's Day
















After reading several articles on the purpose of St. Patrick’s Day, I feel no more educated on the holiday then I ever did. Surprisingly I still see very little purpose in the point of it all. The best I can tell (which I already knew) is that it’s supposed to be a religious holiday stemming from a religious man. I did however; find out some facts that I hadn’t previously known.

Fact # 1: The color green was not the original color representing the holiday. It was actually blue. I’m sure someone somewhere can explain that one a little better, but I don’t really get why we ever changed it. I mean I read the reason but it still doesn’t make sense.

Fact # 2: The Three leaf clover was said to have been used by St. Patrick as a prop to explain the trinity of God, Jesus, and The Holy Spirt. This is an interesting fact that definitely makes sense. Not sure how we could get a drinking/bash holiday out of that!? (kind’a sad)

Fact # 3: If St. Patrick’s Day falls on a Friday, the Catholic Bishop in your town has the right to release everyone from staying away from red meat that day.



Facts about Clovers (from http://holidays.kaboose.com/saint-patricks-day/quick_facts.html)

According to the Guinness Book of World records, the highest number of leaves found on a clover is 14!

One estimate suggests that there are about 10,000 regular three-leaf clovers for every lucky four-leaf clover.

Legend says that each leaf of the four leaf clover means something: the first is for hope, the second for faith, the third for love and the fourth for luck!

0 comments: